One of the most popular blogging platforms in the world is WordPress. It is used as a content publishing platform by millions of websites and popular blogs. This has led to hackers being more interested in hacking websites based on WordPress. The software generally pushes updates in order to patch all known vulnerabilities, but plugins and third party themes make WordPress vulnerable. Hackers sometimes find vulnerabilities in WordPress, which allows them to hack an entire server.
In this post we discuss different security plugins available for WordPress. These plugins provide a wide range of features that make your WordPress blog secure from major threats. These plugins help in keeping the services updated from latest exploits and threats. Following are the 7 best security plugins applicable for WordPress.
1. WordFence: This is one of the most popular WordPress security plugins. It keeps a check for malware infections on your website. It scans all the files on your WordPress core, plugins and themes. If any kind of infection is found, it notifies you immediately. Your WordPress website can be made 50 times more faster and secure. Falcom caching engine is used to make your website more faster. The plugin is free, but some advanced features are available for premium users. It is advised to use these features, if you can afford it.
2. BulletProof Security: Another WordPress security plugin that takes care of the security of different things is BulletProof Security. It adds login security, database security, firewall security and a lot more. This comes with four-click setup interface. You just need to activate this plugin and it completely takes care of your website.
3. Sucuri Security: This is another security plugin for WordPress. This plugin comes from a popular auditing and website security company Sucuri. It offers various security features such as security activity auditing, malware scanning, file integrity monitoring, website firewall and blacklist monitoring. Various blacklist engines are incorporated to check your website, including Sucuri Labs, Google Safe Browsing, Norton, McAfee Site Adviser and much more. If something is wrong, it notifies you through email.
4. iThemes Security (formerly known as WP Security): This is a WordPress security plugin that claims to offer more than 30 ways to protect and secure your website. You can stop automated attacks with just one click installation. It also fixes a number of security holes in your website.
By tracking registered users’ activity, it adds two-factor authentication, export/import settings, malware scanning, password expiration and a number of other things.
5. Acunetix WP SecurityScan: This is a WordPress security plugin by Acunetix WP Security Scan. It is a well known web application security company. It provides security scanning tools to look for vulnerabilities in web applications. The plugin helps in securing your WordPress website and advocates measures to improve security. It provides file permission security, admin protection, version hiding, database security and removing WP generator tag from the source.