Software developers take every possible step to make sure that the product they deliver meets each and every need of users. Along with that, it is also necessary to keep the software secure so that any unauthorized access can be prevented. Most apps fall prey to hackers due to the lack of proper authentication. Financial gain is a great motivating factor for attackers and they keep on learning to break through barriers created by software security practices company and use the application to their advantage.
Implementing software security is not just a task for a particular team in an organization, but is also a responsibility of the organization as a whole to ensure complete user satisfaction. Building high-quality software free from defects, is the major goal of adopting software security practices. It is best to adhere to secure software development right from the beginning. Hence, security practices need to be followed in each and every phase of software life cycle.
Security Practices During Coding and Testing Phase
An organization needs to adopt the following practices during coding and testing phase:
- Train software developers so that they can learn how to implement secure coding that is language-specific. It is also necessary to make sure that developers use these coding techniques extensively.
- Use static analysis for reviewing source code. This is one of the most common software security practices in India
- Learn to distinguish between software testing and security testing and conducting both testing programs accordingly.
- Perform risk-based testing which helps to figure out weaknesses, common errors and other flaws in software. This way you can evaluate risk-management schemes and make sure that they cannot be outwitted.
Security Practices During Design Phase
During design phase of software life cycle, following practices are essential:
- Follow a defined procedure for identifying security requirements and documenting them.
- Implement techniques for identifying threats. These techniques mainly include threat modeling and creation of attack patterns, misuse cases and abuse cases.
- Define ideal levels of software security and use assurance cases to make sure that these levels are achieved.
- Assess the software architecture and perform a thorough risk analysis. This helps you to determine whether the architecture of your software can endure threats or not.