With the steady rise of cyber attacks, security testing of web applications has become mandatory to protect your application or software from any malicious intentions. Almost 35% of data breaches that continue to corrupt systems are related to web applications. A lot of stored sensitive and confidential data is under threat due to cyber threats from external forces.
To battle against such attackers, website application security testing should be conducted more frequently. Sometimes even following the best practices to safeguard against web application from attacks is not enough.
Web application security testing is conducted to
- Secure confidential data and assets of the company or organization.
- Analyzing genuine users who wish to access the information.
- Checking the web application for numerous vulnerabilities.
- Take immediate steps for remediation.
- Check the level of access provided to each user.
A regular and up to date security testing of the web application is vital to ensure that the data and resources of the company are not compromised in any manner. Security testing should be incorporated in the SDLC (Software development life-cycle) itself along with the standard QA testing. Testing of web application security involves a chain of fake malicious attacks that test the functionality and responsiveness of the web application in question. The security testing is duly followed by a format report which lists the detected vulnerabilities, potential threats, and recommendations for solving shortfalls in security.
The security testing involves some processes such as
- Brute force attack testing
- Password quality rules
- Session cookies
- User authorization processes
- SQL injection
Some of the points that you must keep in mind while performing security testing for web applications are:
- If a system is integral to business, it should frequently be tested. Any system that accumulates sensitive customer data, credit card numbers, personally identifiable information (PII) should undergo the security testing process for detecting any threats or weaknesses. This could be one of the chief requirements for several government and industry mandated compliance guidelines.
- There is a growing need for an early security testing at the outset of the software’s design cycle. A security testing of web application or software must not be left for the last stage. A late testing can wreak havoc in the development and maintenance process. Inducing security testing at the initial process of software development along with the total involvement of Development Operation (DevOps) team can help in reducing risk; streamlining response as well as cutting down costs and time spent on remediation.
- Keeping the development teams informed about the importance of remediation and bug fixes is another point to keep in mind while during the security testing of web applications or software.
For more information regarding quality web application security testing services contact Avyaan.